Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Second administrator

+4
Grump
Kaynil
Daisy
8 posters

Go down

Second administrator Empty Second administrator

Post by Loading 2010-11-13, 13:12

Do you usually promote someone to be your partner and help you administrate your forum? I just promote people who I really trust (usually it's my brother), I must know the future administrator for at least a month before promoting him. But here is my warning: do not trust anyone on the internet, they can pretend to be your friend but then when they get promoted they do bad things to your forum.

Back to top Go down

Second administrator Empty Re: Second administrator

Post by Daisy 2010-11-13, 21:03

I'm usually aware of that. I'm afraid of that too.
Daisy
Daisy
Admin
Admin

http://www.fudgepromotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaynil 2010-11-15, 00:29

I don't like sharing administration. While i have an extra personal reason not to, there is only one person in my entire community who I'd trust for it but I know for a fact this person as much as he shares my love and ideas for the community simply has no time for it, he helped me lots as a global moderator and I am already grateful for that.

As a second admin you have to be sure he really cares for the site and has similar ideas than you, if not the board could be divided if you two argue. Not to mention the damage to the board itself doe the admin powers in use. I'd say a month is too little, you don't need another admin until you have developed lots of tasks to take or have no idea on administrative task, like the coding or graphic part of it. So I am sure you can spend three months or so before adding someone, that way you see if they will be active in the long term, share your ideas, is friendly, etc...

A forum is a lot of work, effort, commitment and a big bond, it can mean so much to the founder, so you cannot be too careful when adding someone. Myself I'd probably consider only proven moderators.
Kaynil
Kaynil

http://roczuz.omgforum.net/venu-h1.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy 2010-12-01, 23:57

Very good reasons. Smile
Daisy
Daisy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grump 2010-12-03, 11:27

The only "big" site with one admin I know of is The Hazey all others rely on 2/3 admins. It comes down to managing your time and trust, if there is a big workload then you need to get a second pair of hands, if you can manage your time and do it yourself then there is no need for a second admin
Grump
Grump

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy 2010-12-03, 15:09

I agree. My limit of admins (including me) is 3. And admins are usually important in the first stage of forums, as forums are smaller, spam attacks are aimed towards new forums, and admins are usually active, (sometimes) and being active makes our forum more appealing.
Daisy
Daisy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grump 2010-12-04, 10:23

Sorry but I disagree it is only when a site has over 100k posts that a second admin is needed, a smaller site does not need or warrant a second admin as the jobs can be handled by one and especially a forumotion site as you don't need any knowledge on the behind scenes stuff so it reduces you work load by 50%.
Grump
Grump

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy 2010-12-04, 15:16

Didn't know that. But I've never seen a forum with over 100,000 posts and only 1 admin. Surprised
Daisy
Daisy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grump 2010-12-05, 10:01

That is what I'm saying it is only the big sites that should want or need to have a 2nd admin and Daisy you will soon see one Wink
Grump
Grump

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenF50 2010-12-06, 19:26

I have a few administrators at my site. 4 including me. A promotion forum needs a few more administrators even if you do have a big service staff team Big Smile
StevenF50

Back to top Go down

Post by Grump 2010-12-08, 11:14

I stand corrected The Hazey has got a second admin, I'm shocked as never thought it would happen.
Grump
Grump

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy 2010-12-09, 23:26

Surprised TheHazey has a second admin!
Daisy
Daisy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Garyn Fett 2011-02-28, 07:41

When I first started my forum so many years ago, my best friend online, who I considered a brother was the Co-Founder. I do believe it's ok to have a Co-Founder right away, but as for adding other Admins, I have rarely ever added Admins. The Admin position is so high up, and has so many powers with it. I also think that having too many Admins is a problem. The Admin ratio should usually be small, unless you have a big, active forum. Then I suggest having a few Admins.
Garyn Fett
Garyn Fett

Back to top Go down

Post by Hissae2 2011-03-03, 00:09

I won't be promoting anyone to admin on my forum, because I would want to know what's going to be changed before it happens, so I may as well do it myself. And I would hate it if someone abused their power.
Hissae2
Hissae2

Back to top Go down

Post by Somnium Shadow 2011-03-09, 13:28

I recently promoted an admin, but it was someone I know REALLY well. I held off from doing it for a long while, but being in Grad School has eaten up a lot of my time, so I really needed the extra hand.
Somnium Shadow
Somnium Shadow

http://familialramblings.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down